Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Power Snatches and Getting Ready for January

The Highland Games season is fast approaching, so it is time to get faster and more specialized in my lifting. I can't wait for the games in January. First, they will be in the Orlando area, so I will get to spend some time with Loren's aunt and uncle. Now, I know that sounds like a drag, but the last time I was down there for a Strength and Conditioning convention I had a blast with them. Two, I have the chance to finally make it to the As. For those of you who don't know, the As are the top amateur competitors in the Highland Games, unless you have a specialized Super A class, but those classes are pretty few and far between. I've got all the distances down, now all I have to do is win and make all the distances.

Today's Training:

Power Snatch
Worked up to 185x3 for 3 sets
Last set first rep I hit my shin right in the middle of where I banged up my shin during box jumps a few weeks ago. The adrenaline was in full effect right after, but good God did it hurt something fierce.

WOB-style swinging dumbbell Snatch:
5 sets 10 with 75lbs

Throwing Drills:
Shot Put/Stone of Strength
I really want to make 40' on this for the upcoming games. 40' has been just out of reach for the past few games because I want to stand up too soon.

Kettlebell Drills for Weight for Distance
worked with 30, 35, 45, 55
I was concentrating on footwork and speed more than anything else

Hammer Drills
16lb Sledge Hammer walking drills
I learned these watching drill videos from Eric Frasure on YouTube. I hope they help because my Hammer throw could use some serious help. I'm stuck sub-70' and I want to get in the 80s and 90s. I think a lot of it has to do with how inflexible my back and obliques are.

No comments:

Post a Comment