Friday, February 25, 2011

Highland Games Stuff

Tomorrow will be the 1 year mark of me throwing in the Highland Games.  I LOVE the Northeast Florida Highland Games.  They were my first Games when I threw the first time at 20 years old and they were my first Games back after my accident.  Now I say it is my first year throwing in the Highland Games because when you have to learn how to throw all over again, I consider it a new start. 

These Highland Games are huge.  We throw at the Clay County Fairgrounds in Green Cove Springs, FL.  The venue is big, the Masters and the A's get to throw indoors for the height events and the Caber, and there are always a ton of spectators.  I love the crowd.  There is nothing better than hearing the crowd after a big caber is turned or a weight for height is made.  It just makes you feel good.  Last time I threw I had a partial tear to my Achilles Tendon, so I didn't hit most of my goals, so here are my new goals for these games:

Stone of Strength:  40'
56# Weight for Distance:  27'
28# Weight for Distance:  60'
Hammer:  70'
Sheaf:  24' (pathetic, I know)
56# Weight for Height:  13'
Caber:  Looking for one turn

I need to look at my form for the caber.  I'm turning them and turning them easily, but I always end up between 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock.  I think I am pulling from the shoulder, but I'll try to get my wife to shoot some video for me.

I had the opportunity to work with Andy Vince this past weekend.  Andy Vince is a throws coach based out of Clermont, Florida and is a phenomenal teacher.  Here is part of his resume:
Former British Director of Throws
Great Britain Under 23 National Team Head Coach
Scottish Team National Coach
Senior United Kingdom Shot Put Champion
Record Holder, Indoor Shot Put/Outdoor Shot and Discus throw at Murray State University USA
This guy made sense of the throws.  He was able to explain it practically as well as biomechanically.  In fact, at one point during the clinic he was talking about the biomechanics and physiology of some of the throws, one of the other throwers looked at me and said, "I bet this is really turning you on, huh."

We had about 6-7 hours of coaching which included drills for hand, body, and foot position as well as foot speed and throws techniques

No comments:

Post a Comment